Friday, January 22, 2010

About time!



I’m going to Durban!


I got invited to spend a week on the coast to write my thesis with the ocean in the background and the fresh sea smell as inspiration. But as usual when it comes to taking leave, work suddenly jumps out of absolutely nowhere and messes up your plan.

Not for me.

I coincided the holiday/thesis writing trip with a work trip! Absolutely love when things work out just the way I want them to. Let me explain.

If I accepted the invite to Durban it would mean packing light so that everyone else’s luggage could fit in the car, driving for six (or more) hours there and then a week later another 6 (or more) hours back. Not ideal.

What I really wanted to was ensure that my organization gets the ethical approval it needs to start interviews for a study we are conducting at UKZN (University of KwaZulu Natal). Then, tell my dear boss that I am keen to do the interviews and what better time than the week that I will be in Durban – saving the NGO I work for accommodation cost – something my boss loves to hear!

So on the 6th February I will be flying to Durban, doing a bit of work from Monday to Wednesday and will be spending the rest of the days lying on the beach, writing my thesis, lounging at the pool, having fancy dinners and exploring Durban. Yay me!

I’ll be out of the office, with no domestic responsibilities and thinking with a clear head while I do my work and try to put together something comprehensive that looks like a master’s thesis.

PS. The excite has nothing to do with the fact that I am going to Durban (not a big fan of the place) and everything to do with being away from everything routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment